KUCHING: The Satok Ramadan Bazaar once again drew strong public interest upon its opening on Thursday, with more traders participating compared to last year, further enlivening the Ramadan atmosphere and boosting the local economy.
Deputy Minister for Utility (Sarawak Energy & PETROS) Datuk Ibrahim Baki said the bazaar remains an annual tradition that not only enhances the spirit of Ramadan but also provides income opportunities for local hawkers.
According to the Satok Assemblyman, 108 stalls are operating this year, an increase from last year, with the majority run by residents from the Satok area.
"The Ramadan Bazaar provides an opportunity for small traders to make a living throughout the month of Ramadan, in addition to helping boost the local economy in this area.
"At the same time, we want to maintain the tradition so that Satok is always lively even during the fasting month with people from diverse backgrounds coming together to purchase food,” he told reporters when officiating the bazaar.
He also advised traders against imposing excessive price increases and urged them to uphold food quality and cleanliness standards.
At the event, Datuk Ibrahim also presented donations to 20 asnaf individuals in the Satok constituency.
The funds were collected by the management of the Kuching North City Commission (DBKU) surau to help ease recipients’ daily expenses, particularly during Ramadan.
The Satok Ramadan Bazaar operates from 2 pm to 7 pm and comprises 82 food stalls, 22 beverage stalls and four grilled food stalls.
Also present was DBKU Mayor Dato Hilmy Othman. -UKASnews
Prepared By: Nur Nabilla
Photo: Nur Nabilla
Translator: Nerissa Sia