Opening Of Batang Lupar Bridge Marks New Chapter In Infrastructure Development
BATANG LUPAR: The official opening of the Batang Lupar 1 Bridge on Thursday marked another milestone in Sarawak’s development landscape, with the 4.84-kilometre structure recognised as the longest river-crossing bridge in Malaysia.
Sarawak Deputy Premier Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said the RM848.7 million project symbolises the success of the Sarawak Government under Gabungan Parti Sarawak (GPS) in delivering large-scale infrastructure projects using the state’s own funds.
“This truly is a historic occasion. Batang Lupar 1 is the longest bridge in Malaysia and was built entirely using Sarawak Government funding.
“We are immensely proud of this achievement and thankful to the Public Works Department (JKR) Sarawak for successfully completing the project,” he said.
He told reporters after the soft opening ceremony of the Batang Lupar 1 Bridge.
The Minister for Infrastructure and Port Development added that the opening of the bridge also signals the end of reliance on ferry services along the main coastal route connecting Kuching and Miri.
“With the bridge now operational from today, travel from Kuching to Miri no longer requires ferry crossings.
“Previously, motorists had to wait between 30 and 45 minutes. Now, the crossing takes only about five minutes,” he said.
Meanwhile, Minister for Utility and Telecommunication Dato Sri Julaihi Narawi described the bridge as proof of the Sarawak Government’s determination to realise development projects once considered impossible.
According to the Sebuyau Assemblyman, the Batang Lupar project was among three bridge developments along the Coastal Road alignment that had previously been cancelled by the former federal administration before the Sarawak Government decided to revive them through its own financing initiative.
“Today, we are witnessing the reality of the most strategic and longest river-crossing bridge in Malaysia being completed.
“Although there were initially many doubts over whether the project could be realised, the Sarawak Government under the leadership of the Sarawak Premier took the bold step of proceeding with it, and today it has become a reality,” he said.
The bridge, built to JKR R5 standards, features a two-lane single carriageway with a 598.8-metre cable-stayed main span, as well as a navigational clearance measuring 250 metres wide and 26 metres high.
Also present were Deputy Minister for Infrastructure and Port Development Datuk Ir Aidel Lariwoo, Beting Maro Assemblyman Dato Razaili Gapor, Permanent Secretary to the Ministry of Infrastructure and Port Development Sarawak Datu Chiew Chee Yau and JKR Sarawak Director Datu Dr Cassidy Morris. -UKASnews
Prepared by: Ezzah Syafiqah
Photo: Natalie Cherinie Johnny
Translator: Ravinraj